The prettiest cottage in Smiling Somerset awaits you
We fell in love with the wonderful West Country more than a decade ago and we initially bought Lilac Cottage as an idyllic weekend retreat for our own use to escape the city and breathe the fresh country air. We’ve since been fortunate enough to move our family full-time to the West Country and had such positive feedback about the cottage since it has appeared in magazines and on Hen’s blog that it seemed the perfect next step to invite other people to enjoy it as we did. You can therefore rest assured that we have spent many nights at Lilac Cottage ourselves and have made sure staying here goes beyond your average holiday rental experience and will be a true luxury home from home in the vintage tradition. Leave your mobile in your bag, take off your shoes and relax, vintage style.
Downstairs, from the comfort of the vintage slip-covered armchairs or the infamous rose-printed sofa with their vintage embroidered cushions, you can play the vintage board games on offer, read one of the many interesting old books or go on then, watch a bit of telly if you must, all in front of a roaring log fire in the original inglenook fireplace.
When you must be practical, you’ll find the charming kitchen is fully equipped with a dual fuel range cooker, slimline dishwasher (though there’s something quite pleasurable about washing up in the Belfast sink), fridge/freezer and microwave. Please note, there is no washing machine at Lilac Cottage; who wants to wash clothes when there is so much exploring and relaxing to do!
There is a separate dinky dining room with colourful old painted chairs, pretty floral china to serve your afternoon tea and a vintage wireless to entertain you. Here you can enjoy sociable meals once you’ve rustled up some of the fantastic produce the West Country has to offer in abundance.
When it’s time to head up the wooden hills, you can expect the comfiest vintage beds with the highest quality mattresses and pillows, pure cotton bedding, cosy floral eiderdowns and the obligatory handmade HenHouse patchwork quilts. There will likely be a well-loved teddy bear to keep you company and Enid Blyton by the bed for a spot of night-time reading. With few street lights and passing cars and just the hooting of the owls, you’ll drift off to enjoy the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had, ready for the next day’s adventures.
Don’t blame us if you never want to leave…we didn’t, after all!
- Sitting room with comfy seating for four, tv, DVD player, vintage books and games, and inglenook fireplace
- Fully equipped kitchen with French windows leading to private rear garden
- Dining room with vintage wireless and oodles of atmosphere
- Ground floor bathroom with bath and separate shower with a delightful vintage seaside theme
- Master bedroom with antique iron-framed kingsize (5′) bed with top-of-the-range Tempur mattress. (Space for a travel cot)
- Second bedroom with twin single vintage wooden beds
- Pretty cottage gardens both front and back, both with seating areas, lawn, pretty flower borders and a very private patio to the rear with table and chairs.
- Shed in the front garden where bikes, pushchairs and outdoor gear may be stored (there is no storage space for these items in the property).
- Parking freely available on the quiet country village lane . The cottage is situated peacefully at right angles to the lane and you will need to park on the lane and walk up the path to the cottage which will take you no time at all.
The cottage is fully centrally heated with a brand new boiler and was refurbished in 2015 in soothing period colours to complement the wealth of original features. A basket of logs and kindling will be provided to get you going. A welcome pack with locally made cider, scones, jam and clotted cream (along with essentials like milk, bread and eggs from our free-range hens) will await your arrival.
WE NOW HAVE WIFI – available from approximately 28 April 2017
Please note: whilst we are most certainly fur friendly, the layout and size of the cottage means it is not ideally suited to all dogs. Please use the contact form to discuss whether the cottage is suitable for your pet(s) before booking. We reserve the right to terminate any booking where a pet(s) staying has not expressly been agreed at the time of booking.